Installing VMWare View Patch 4.6.2 in 4.6.0 environment:

Here is the security advisory with links to downloads and release notes:

http://www.vmware.com/security/advisories/VMSA-2012-0017.html

The documentation I found was a bit confusing it kept referencing full scale upgrades rather than patch deployment. While those docs did reference a lot of verify this and that and backup this and that I will assume you know your environment and have backups for your backups, snapshots,… as I did before I started.

Out of curiosity I used my golden image that had the 4.6.0 agent to create a new pool upgrading it to the 4.6.2 agent, without making any other changes to my environment such as the connection server. I found that it worked fine in my configuration. So I changed that to the default pool and moved my users over to the 4.6.2 agent on their VDI’s. Worse case if anything went south I would reconnect to the old 4.6.0 agent pool.

I have no security server in this environment so I was able to skip that step.

On View connection Server I ran an additional backup by going to the View Administrator Console
Expanding “View Configuration”> Select “Servers”:

clip_image001

To the right on the View Connection Servers I highlighted my server and selected Backup now as shown below:

clip_image003

After hours I then made snapshots of my VCenter and View Connection servers.

Once the snapshot completed I closed the View Administrator and ran the installation on my View Connection Server.

Note: Other documentation I found referenced stopping services… but in my single Connection Server environment that was not necessary the installation stopped and started the services as required.

“VMware-viewconnectionserver-4.6.2-916912” for my 64 bit environment

I then logged back onto the View Administrator Console confirmed all was ok and the version was listed as 4.6.2-916912 and thoroughly tested my View Agent connectivity. Then I cleaned up my snapshots. No upgrade task was required on VCenter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Office 365 Deployment Tool Office Download fails “Could not Install”

FRS to DFSR Post Cleanup “File Replication NtFrs Stopped”

Domain Migration SubinACL /Migratetodomain How To: